Monday, August 6, 2007

Runners pass on the love

Why do you think people run? Is it to lose weight? Is it just to feel better about yourself? I think it is all those things and more.
I started running in high school because a friend invited me. I was a slightly chubby kid so this was new to me having lost weight by getting older. I had only done short distance, so sprints made sense to me. My coach however was able to see that this was not for me. I was surprised to see my name on the list for the 1600-meter race. I did not take it seriously but that did not stop me from taking third place. Then the coach wanted me to run the 3200-meter race in less than 20 minutes. Needless to say I was scared and I ran it and passed out, but that is were it started for me. I went on to run cross-country in high school and college. I have had great coaches along the way but it all started with just that small invite. I love running but I love helping people run even more.

If you are a “runner” you need to spread the love.

David

No comments: